Megaminded ME...

Megaminded ME...

Tuesday 3 January 2012

have I forgotten or What?

Harvard Business Case Study @ HBS


It is a case study where I have involved myself together with 5 course-mates of mine. What have we done to succeed in this case study? We STUDIED the case of course! This case I am talking about is Symbian, Google & Apple in Mobile Space. Honestly, I never had an idea of what Symbian is till I was assigned to do this case study. Its just that I never thought I'll be in this field, & I should actually know anything related to computing field which I am in now. A common thought of a common guy. But as I read through the 18 page case given to me, the first thing I came to know is the mobile I am currently using is based on Symbian OS. Not only that, I also studied a whole lot history of mobile industry.

On 14th of December, 2011 :
2 sections comprising of over 60 students, in a lecture room were in the race to get 5 solid marks(allocated for this project) sitting nervously knowing they have to draw out 1 out of 10 questions that is going to decide on their "fate" in that particular evening.

The question list :

1.  Strategies taken by Symbian,Google,Apple in striving to lead the mobile industry.
2.  Lessons learned from Harvard Bussiness School Case Study
4.  Discuss the key players in mobile phone industries and how they influence each other.
5.  As the future IT professional,how this case study change your view about your carreer?
6.  What innovations can be introduce in improving mobile phone industries in terms of community uses and        
      work?
7.   Discuss the Symbian's situation based on Porter's 5 Forces model.What are your recommendation?
8.   Analyse Symbian's situation using SWOT analysis technique.What is your opinion about company  
      situation.
9.   Discuss on key Symbian Excutives(exhibit 3).What is your opinion about them?Give suggestions.
10. Discuss on the mobile market share based on the statistics given.

The representative from my group Ang Jun Qi, went to draw the question, she came back with the draw.....
HAHA!Well Done qi qi I said. We got question number 3 .

Question 3 is : 
New entry company such as Google & Apple become threat to Symbian company.How?

*IN CASE FELLOW READER FAILED TO NOTICE, I DIDN'T MENTION QUESTION 3 IN THE LIST ABOVE. HAHA!*

My answer was general, I added a few other threat to Symbian giving a start for each & every member of my group to talk about the threat they have chosen to elaborate about. They spoke about the first threat category which is system developers, Microsoft, Palm, Google and the second category, Apple & RIMM.

Here is the summary of the answers given by my group :


Microsoft
--Improved phone reliability and performance
-- Build alliances with wireless network operators and phone manufacturers
-- Large network of third party PC developers potential in building apps
-- Motorola left Symbian (2005) to work with Microsoft


Palm
-- Intuitive user interface, reliable synch with PC’s, long battery life, modest cost.


RIMM
-- Always-on mobile e-mail devices
-- Offered Blackberry e-mail services to non-Blackberry devices


Apple
-- Apple had substantial power over network operators
-- Each phone had to be registered with Apple
-- The iPhone support “multitouch” interactions and motion sensor
-- Offer third-party apps to iPhone users


Google
-- Offer a giving away software and services instead of charge the advertising fees
-- Encouraged development of third-party apps
-- Provide affordable wireless internet access


THATS ALL FOR NOW!THANKS :D




No comments:

Post a Comment